Starts: Hervey Bay QLD 4655, Australia
Ends: Rainbow Beach QLD 4581, Australia
Bring a sense of adventure and get ready for some laughs as you embark on three action-packed days on the world’s largest sand island. You’ll discover Fraser Island’s iconic spots – beautiful Lake McKenzie, the historical heart of Central Station and Wanggoolba Creek, golden dunes, fresh water creeks, rusting ship wrecks… and if time permits our guides might show you some of their own special spots!
Your guide is a local who is passionate about Fraser Island and will not only take you to the island’s most incredible spots, but also wow you with fascinating facts (as much or as little as you’d like) about the island’s history, fauna and flora. They’ll also keep an eye out for dingoes and other interesting wildlife and are happy to stop for photo stops when they spot things! Your Cool Dingo guide stays with you for the entire tour and promise to give you a fun time or the cool dingo eats his hat!
- 3 days of guided 4WD tours
- 2 nights accommodation
- 2 breakfasts + 3 lunches + 2 dinners
- Return ferry transfers
We’ll pick you up from your accommodation between 7.00 and 8.00am. The ferry ride to Fraser Island, across the Great Sandy Strait, around 50 minutes. Your Cool Dingo Ranger Guide will meet you at the resort’s jetty and after the group introductions and a quick briefing, your 4WD adventure on Fraser begins!
Today we check out some of Fraser’s coolest, sub-tropical inland sights.
- Lake McKenzie – with its white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters, picture perfect Lake McKenzie is even prettier than the postcards.
- Central Station – no trains or whistles here – just peaceful, ancient rainforest and the reminders of a former, once bustling logging camp.
- Wanggoolba Creek – walk along the banks of this silent flowing creek with lush green rainforest and rare king ferns… it’s simply breathtaking.
- Pile Valley – check out the giant Satinay trees and imagine their timbers lining the Suez Canal.
- Basin Lake ? enjoy a forest walk into beautiful Basin Lake – get up close and personal with the resident freshwater turtles – in this delightful perched dune lake before heading back to Kingfisher Bay Resort.
- Includes picnic lunch and buffet dinner.
- An early start to explore Seventy-Five Mile Beach, the world’s most gorgeous beach highway.
- Eli Creek – a great spot for a refreshing dip! Float down this fast-flowing freshwater creek – which pours out 80 megalitres of water daily – to the seaside.
- Maheno Shipwreck – washed ashore during a cyclone in 1935, this rusting wreck is one of Fraser Island’s iconic photo stops. You won’t be disappointed.
- The Pinnacles Coloured Sands – With all the colours of the rainbow (well just the reds, oranges, ochres and creams really) these vibrant sand cliffs are another favourite photo stop.
- Indian Head – climb to the top of this rocky headland for awesome island and ocean views… look out for sharks, rays and migrating humpback whales (Jul – Nov).
- Champagne Pools – chill out in these bubbling ocean rock pools, you won’t want to leave!
- Air Fraser offers spectacular scenic flights over the island – book with your guide on tour (extra cost applies).
- Includes buffet breakfast, picnic lunch and buffet dinner.
- A relaxed day visiting a few of Fraser’s lesser well known beauty spots. As this is our last day on island, don’t forget to leave your luggage at the Wilderness Lodge storage area for our porters.
- Lake Wabby – walk through the forest to beautiful emerald-green Wabby, Fraser’s deepest lake and a favourite swimming hole. It’s so completely different to the rest of the island’s lakes and a real favourite of ours.
- Hammerstone Sandblow – trek over one of Fraser’s vast desert-like sand blows – no wonder it’s the world’s largest sand island – to the beach!
- Eurong Beach Resort – for lunch we head to Eurong for their famous all-you-can-eat lunch buffet.
- Lake Birrabeen – if you loved Lake McKenzie then Birrabeen will allure you with its sparkling clear waters and dazzling white beaches… you won’t be able to resist a dip. We think it’s a great way to finish the tour!
- Includes buffet breakfast and BBQ lunch.
- After a comfort stop at Eurong Beach Resort you can either travel through to Rainbow Beach or return back to Kingfisher Bay Resort meet the 5.00pm ferry back to Hervey Bay, arriving at approximately 5.50pm… then we’ll drop you straight to your Hervey Bay accommodation for some well earned rest! or if you are travelling through to Airlie Beach we can drop your off at the Hervey Bay Coach Terminal. If you are starting in Hervey Bay and want to finish in Rainbow Beach let us know when you are booking or prior to your arrival.